Saturday, August 11, 2012

Yipeeee!

Yesterday morning I got the best e-mail I have gotten in a very long time. We finally got our official referral and travel dates!! I will be leaving Austin on August 18th and meeting A.J. for the first time on August 20th. I'll get to visit with him a few hours each day from Monday to Friday and then make the trip home on Saturday.

The reality that I will be travelling overseas in less than a week is starting to set in . Oh my. There is so much to do!

If you have travelled for an international adoption I would love to hear your suggestions for packing, and especially what to take along for your child on trip one. Thank you!

We should get an update from A.J.'s orphanage very soon. Our facilitator has the report, but it wouldn't be much use to us in Cyrillic so I guess we will have to wait for it to be translated. :-) I will let you know what we find out!

Prayer requests:
Where do I start? :-)
Safe travel - especially that I will not miss any connections.
Patience and energy for Eric as he tele-works and manages the household while I am gone.
That I will have the energy to get everything done that needs to be done in the next 6 days! 
That I will recover from jet lag faster than I have in the past. Every time I travel internationally I am miserable (and so is everyone around me! LOL).


I'd better go get some lists made....

Thank you for walking alongside us on this journey!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting travel dates!

    We just got back from trip 1 to see our son a little over a week ago. He is a little older but I'm sure their interests would probably be similiar. Our son was not interested in most everything we brought. What he did like was anything that played music or made noise, things with buttons on them to push (like our camera), things with wheels, empty water bottles. He also liked the sunglasses we brought. Also, I would suggest bringing a snack that disolves easily-like the Gerber baby puffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to share what our son did NOT like...all of the snacks we brought (goldfish, animal crackers, gummy snacks...he doesn't know how to chew). The stuffed bear he didn't look twice at. Bubbles only lasted until they got spilled but they weren't the big thrill we expected. He had no interest in crayons, sidewalk chalk, markers, color wonder stuff, puzzles, etc. He also did not like or have an interest to sit and look through a picture book with him. He wasn't interested in the ball we brought either, though the other kids were. HE didn't know how or have an interest in dupls blocks that we brought either.

    HTH-your son may be different. I've heard from many families that anything that made noise was a big hit.

    ReplyDelete