Saturday, April 30, 2011

Signatures and Notaries and Apostilles, Oh My!!

I knew there was going to be a lot of paperwork involved in getting our adoption done, and after 15 years in the Air Force I am used to bureaucracy but I am in shock at how much time we have spent compiling documents over the last 5 days.

Every item we sign has to be notarized. Then, if it is going overseas, it needs to go to the State Department to be apostilled (which is basically the Federal government certifying that the notary is true and accurate). Thank goodness we are so close to Austin and can get the apostilles done in person. If we had to mail them in and wait to get them back I would probably lose my mind!

And as if making the documents official wasn't complicated enough we have to go through not one, not two, but three separate fingerprints sessions and police checks! I have a military security clearance, but I still have to have my background checks done. Geesh! I am beginning to think that everyone wants a "piece of the pie" so to speak. Why should Texas and New York let us use the FBI clearance we have done when they can charge us some money and make us do it again? Sorry to be cynical, but I am just a little frustrated with this process!!

Please pray that everything will go smoothly and we will be able to get our dossier compiled very quickly. I want to get Allen home FAST!

3 comments:

  1. THREE finger-print checks?!? I thought it was only one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I discovered your story on Reeces rainbow and was compelled to write you.
    My wife and I are seriously considering adopting a special child and I was impressed by your willingness to make thee adorable little guy party of your already busy young family.
    While we are unfortunetly not able to assist financcialy at his time, we wopuld like you to know you arre in our prayers and thoughts. please keep us in touch as per youur progress.
    God bless.
    Alan and Kellie Shulver
    Beachwalke1@yahoo.com
    Myrtle Beach, SC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognized your name on your comment because I found your blog only yesterday! I can't tell you how happy I am to have some people close by who can understand what we are going through. Definately we will band together, and hopefully meet up someday soon. Maybe we should all 3 get together to do some massive fundraiser...hmm. Could be good!

    ReplyDelete